Bill Hillman Presents
Forces: Land ~ Air ~ Sea ~ Home
Compiled by Bill Hillman
FLASH. . . Editor and Webmaster: Bill Hillman:
MAY 2004

Sgt. Peter Engbrecht CGM 
424 Squadron RCAF Air Gunner Ace
See Salute to Air Gunners for particulars

Arthur “knobby” Clissold, with his wife Jean – Truro Nova Scotia
Veteran gets surprise call from Second World War Comrade
By Harry Sullivan Truro Daily News, Truro N.S.

After 60 years of being out of touch with his Second World War bomber Pilot, Arthur (Bert) Clissold knew it would be a long shot to ever track him down. But after placing a small bulletin seeking information about the Pilot in the Royal Canadian Legion’s own publication, Legion, Clissold was taken completely by surprise when he received a telephone call from his former Captain.

“It was remarkable, I thought it was amazing,” the Truro veteran said. “I had no idea where he lived, or in fact, if he was alive when I put the ad in… I tell you why, because the average age of  veterans now is 82 or 83 and then they die.”

But as Clissold found out, his former pilot Robert Brodie, 89, is alive, well, and residing in Montreal. “He surprised me by calling me knobby (Clissold’s Air Force nickname) instead of Bert,” he said.

Clissold, who served on a bomber as a wireless operator/air gunner, was injured during a wartime flight and now suffers from deep vein thrombosis in his leg, a painful debilitating disorder that cases major blood clots.

After being refused a disability pension from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs because of a lack of information, Clissold decided to run his small advertisement to see if he could locate Brodie, or other members of his crew, to help substantiate his claim.

While catching up on the news in their lives, Clissold said he learned that Brodie had been sitting in a Montreal church one Sunday morning when a friend tapped him on the shoulder to say he had seen the former pilot’s name in the Legion magazine. 

Brodie has since forwarded information taken from his pilot’s war-time log that backs his former crewman’s version of events and Clissold is appealing the denial of his disability claim. But the main reason for sharing his story is to proclaim the value of the Legion magazine and encourage other veterans to keep trying in their quest to locate old friends and comrades.

“The point that I’m trying to make is that any ex-servicemen or veteran that would like to get in touch with other veterans … to not give up hope.” He said. “They can turn up some of their pals with whom they served.”

As for the disability pension, Clissold said he has no intentions of abandoning that effort. If they turn me down, I’ll try again,” he said. “The only way I’ll give up is if they look in the obituaries and read my name.”

(Bert was injured at 24 OTU Honeyborne)

Nanton Lancaster FM159
August 14, 2004 Reunion

Dear Mr. Moyles:
As a member of the executive of an Ex-Air Gunners Association Branch, we hope that you will be interested in an event that our museum will be hosting on August 14, 2004. We invite you and all members of your branch to attend.

As you know, the gun turret of a Bomber Command aircraft during World War II was the coldest, loneliest, place in the sky and one of the most dangerous. This summer our special event at the Nanton Lancaster Air Museum will focus on the contribution of the air gunners to the successes of Bomber Command. The completion of the restoration of our Bristol Blenheim turret will compliment the three Fraser-Nash Lancaster turrets and the Martin 250 currently on display. This impressive collection of five gun turrets will be the backdrop to our salute to the individuals who manned them in the cold, dark, and dangerous skies sixty years ago.

We are hoping that as many ex-air gunners as possible will be joining us on August 14th to be honoured on behalf of the tens of thousands of their comrades who fought in the night skies over enemy territory.

As part of this event we will be focusing on F/Sgt. Peter Engbrecht CGM and F/Sgt. Gordon Gillanders DFM who flew with No. 424 Squadron. They were undoubtedly the most successful gunnery team in the RCAF accounting for nine confirmed and two probable enemy aircraft. F/Sgt. Engbrecht was the only Canadian “Ace” during the Second World War who was not a fighter pilot. During his second operation the aircraft was attacked fourteen times by German night-fighters in a running battle from the target back to the English coast. Sgt. Engbrecht shot down two enemy aircraft that night, the second with only one of his four guns in operation. For these and other actions he was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, one of only eight presented to Canadians during the war. We are pleased that members of the Engbrecht and Gillanders families will be joining us on August 14.

Our “Salute to the Air Gunners” will take the form of a luncheon in the museum followed by various tributes to the Air Gunners. As part of the program we will be unveiling a commissioned painting by well-known aviation artist John Rutherford depicting Sgt. Engbrecht and Sgt. Gillanders in action. Following the ceremonies flypasts of various vintage and modern aircraft will salute the air gunners.

For additional information regarding our museum please visit and in particular our “Past Special Events” section that documents our numerous successful special events of previous years and our “Air Gunners” section.

Please let us know if you will be able to join us on August 14th. I can be reached through the addresses listed above or directly by telephone at (403) 646-2681 (evenings).

 Yours truly,

 Dan Fox, President

"Johnny Walker" was painted on Lancaster W-4964, WS-J of No. 9 Squadron, Royal Air Force.
The aircraft had a distinguished career, logging a total of 106 operations. 

Likely the most detailed piece of work of the war, it features the Johnny Walker whiskey symbol with the firm's equally famous motto, "Still Going Strong." The artwork includes the ribbons from four DFM's and two DFCs that were awarded to her aircrew. The chevron indicates a year's service on active duty. Below are three wound stripes, one for a container of fifty, four pound incendiary bombs that were dropped from above and passed through the aircraft's wing. Below these is the ribbon for the 1939-1945 star medal followed by a swastika indicating an enemy fighter shot down and a marking for a searchlight that was shot out at low level. The bomb tally indicates 104 regular night operations, one day operation, and a larger bomb indicating the 12,000 pound "Tall Boy" bomb dropped by J-Johnny that struck the battleship Tirpitz on the aircraft's 100th operation. The red star recalls the aircraft's visit to Russia en-route to bombing the Tirpitz. 

This replica of the nose art from "Johnny Walker" was painted by Clarence Simonsen on a wing panel from a Canadian-built Lancaster.

TOURS - How were they determined?

Ed. - A number of years ago Doreene and I were attending a square dance weekend at Rawlins Wyoming, USA. We were enjoying dinner with the caller, Johnny Leclair when he noticed the Ops wings on my jacket. He asked what the wings represented. I explained that it meant 30 operational trips in Bomber Command or 800 operational hours on Coastal Command. It was then I learned that Johnny had been a USAF B25 pilot flying bombing strikes out of Italy. He laughed and said, “we were not that fortunate, there was no limit to how many we flew. Johnnie called square dancing in locations around the world. He recalled being invited to call in a city in Germany which he had visited years before in his B25 bomber. He said, “I didn’t tell them that I had been there before.”

This leads into the following articles regarding the calculation of tour time during the war.

Short Bursts December 1992 Issue #40, Don Daikens writes in part: “In regards to Maurice Winton’s article on page 7 of the latest Short Bursts, I have never heard of anyone’s tour being counted other than by sorties and never by hours.”

This statement generated a number of replies in the following Newsletter.

John R. Low, Chemainus, BC.

In answer to Don Daikens letter about how a tour was counted. There are lots of things you never heard of, especially in the services. Here goes: RAF Squadron 570 tour consisted of (get this) either of these:
1 - 18 months on operations.
2 - 500 hours on operations.
3 – 30 operational trips over enemy territory.

My tour with 570 Squadron ended up like this:
18 months on operations.
499 hours on operations.
31 trips over enemy territory.

You can see from this it was calculated very closely. If you think it was easy try towing a glider on D-Day, Arnhem (3 trips) and crossing of the Rhine (one trip), (2 to France on D-Day). In addition to this you can add night trips to almost anywhere in Norway, Holland, Denmark, France, via Mk 1V Stirling, one aircraft to one dropping zone in the middle of the night in any kind of weather. All dropping done between 500 and 1000 feet. Sometimes containers to Marauis, sometimes special SAS troops, sometimes 500 lb bombs. The tail turret was the only armament on the Stirling, every other defence was stripped from it.

Hopes this clears up some of your doubts Don.

Art Colston writes: Don Daikens writes in the December Issue that he has never heard of a tour being counted in anything but sorties. Well, Coastal Command counted their tour expired people in hours. I am one.

E.M. Cooke writes: in response to Don Daikens article: Bomber Command, in their great wisdom, decreed a tour as thirty trips or two hundred hours, whichever came first. I completed a tour with 102 Squadron with 29 trips and 201:55 hours.

The grand old Whitley had a cruising speed of 125 mph indicated and here are a couple of examples between it and a Halifax.
116-7-41 Whitley – Bremen 7:55
6-25-42 Halifax Bremen 5:55
11-1-41 Whitley Kiel 7:55 
4-28-42 Halifax Kiel 6:30
The longest trip was to Nurnberg 10:25. All thee trips were from Topcliffe which, I believe, later was a 6 Group Conversion Unit.

I was sent to 190 OUT at Kinloss and then out of the blue in August ’43 was sent on  pilot’s course. There were six other WO W/Ags and fourteen commissioned RCAF W/Ags. We received our wings at Souris, Manitoba. Maybe some of the fourteen are out there reading this, so hello to them nearly fifty years later.

E.M Cooke
1516 Blaine Ave., N.E. Renton, Washington 98056. USA. (Reader, please realize this was written in March 1993)

Those were the days when Members responded to articles in the Newsletter. But, let's face it, we were years younger then!

 TS “Tommy” Taylor. Pat Miller, Tommy Cousins, John Moyles
 Winnipeg 1992  ~ Ex - WAGs All

SHORT BURSTS June 1991 – Issue #34

The following is of interest due to the international news we receive daily.

Pat Miller (deceased) 

Our Catalina flying boat crew of nine had been engaged in ferrying similar aircraft from Oban Scotland to Kozangi Creek, India, nine miles from Karachi (now Pakistan). On leaving Oban we flew directly to Gibraltar. From there to Djerba, Tunisi, and on to Kasfareet, Egypt. By now we had circumvented Europe. Hence over present day Israel and on to Lake Habbaniya an RAF Station twenty miles from Baghdad. Next stop was Bahrain (old spelling), Saudi Arabia, and then on to Korangi Creek.

A year before Habbaniya had been under siege by the Iraqis but successfully defended by the British army. Many of the places are prominent in the news today (May 1991).

While stationed in India and Ceylon we had the novel experience of flying THE LOCUST PATROLS. These flights took place in searing heat, violent turbulence, through mountain valleys, at ground level, with no detailed maps – in a flying boat!! There was a constant battle with the controls in an attempt to keep the aircraft at 50 to 100 foot altitude, under constant threat of dead end canyons and loss of room to manoeuvre. All factors considered you got the feeling that you had a couple of guys at the controls who actually knew what they wee doing. I must pay tribute to F/L Eric Kenny, Captain, and “Blackie” Glaister, second pilot, with whom anyone would be proud to fly.

We were briefed as to the area to be covered and what to look for, (we never did know). None of us knew what a locust looked like from 100 mph so we were assigned an Indian Government Entomologist to accompany us and do the normal sighting reports.

Our locust flights were over Northern India, (now Pakistan) and Afghanistan. After take off we were into another age. Up narrow valleys, hopefully with exits or at least room to turn around, villages of mud huts, women clad to their eyebrows working in fields that looked as brown as the surrounding mountains. And men! God help us if we ever had to sit down. As it was all they could do was hurl rocks at us.

On occasion we would come upon a placid village with a herd of sheep milling about. These animals were instantly turned into projectiles – mowing down tents, humans, and everything in their path. One time we turned down a valley in Iran barely missing a farmer with two oxen ploughing a green area. The last we saw of him, he was shaking his fist at us and his animals were heading for the hills.

On one trip we had the rare and distinct honour to have a pleasant young female along to look for the bugs. After hours of fighting the controls our pilots took a  well earned rest, set “George”, and thought about dozing on the way home. Somehow this new young thing took to wandering fore and aft, each time with a number of crew tagging along close behind – sometimes called “hovering”. This naturally played havoc with the automatic pilot. One minute a nose up attitude, the next a nose down. Naturally this brought a snarl from both Eric and Blackie, normally docile types.

Near the end of June 1945 we had the welcome news that all RCAF crews in S.E. Asian theatre were grounded. Our Group in Ceylon were to embark at Bombay for a sea voyage to Southampton, and our crew were designated to transport Canadians to Bombay. However, I took advantage of the grounding order, declined to take part, and instead, took a leisurely five day trip by train to Bombay, where I rejoined my crew and enjoyed a seventeen day trip to England. 

Don Macfie

It was with some interest that I read about the M.H.D.O.I.F award. I got out my log book and diary to see if I really had a “gong” to put ahead of my “spam”. What tales I could tell on remembrance day when some school kid pointed to it and said, “and what is that one for?”

My log book is written as if to save ink. My diary says to hell with rationing.

Log Book 18:4:42 - Hudson #400 - P/O Russell. F/O Ritchie, and self. Altitude test. Stbd engine U/S at 14000 ft.- leaking oil. -----------------------:50 min.

Diary     Debert  N.S. Training for Ferry Command. A nice day, we were sent up on an altitude test to 25000 ft. We circled up over Truro. Bert climbed pretty fast and at around 15000 ft. the Stbd. motor seized and was boiling oil. Smoke was rolling out and coming into the cockpit through the floor. It looked bad and gave us quite a scare. I got a “P” message out in a hurry. The oil ran out to the prop which threw oil in all directions.

Bert told me to go back in the fuselage to get Jack’s and my parachutes. There was only one there where there should have been two, it was Jack Ritchie’s. I grabbed it by the D ring and it opened. There I was drowned in silk!
We got back to base on one engine ok and even found that it would climb on one engine. I found my parachute in my locker where I had left it, and had to pay .50 cents for having Jack’s repacked.

I am now wondering what a “P” message was.  Maybe some WAG out there will remember.

Carman Brown
Carman Brown 429 Sqdrn. Rear Gunner. 
Who said we didn’t carry a full load of bombs!

You not only made friendships with your own crew members but also with other chaps in the same trade and ranking; Officers to Officers and NCOs to NCOs, A/Gs to A/Gs etc. My crew buddy Frank McNally and I had welded a friendship with Larry Bucoviz and Art Reichman, all Airgunners, through our training at the OTUs Dalton and now Womleton (on/in the mud).

During May 1944, for some unknown reason  FRESH YELLOW LEMONS were handed out at noontime  mess and the four of us made plans to visit the village later that evening and cast our lemons into the barter system. After supper the four of us trudged into the Village with high hopes of doing a landslide business, after all, when was the last time anyone had a lemon. We were rudely brought back to earth as a number of guys had already flooded  the market with lemons. 

On our trip into the Village we had noticed a chicken coop. Not to be outdone, or return to our hut empty handed, we decided to scout the situation with this hen coop. Two brave souls stood guard at the road while two safecrackers nabbed two chickens. Being fairly dark, the birds did not make a squawk as they were stuffed into the battle dress blouse. The trip to our hut became a quick march, better known as a dog-trot.

Now the fun began; how do you stuff a Rhode Island Red (?). Well, according to the two BC boys, Larry and Art, just grab the neck and give a couple of twirls – nothing to it. Now the plucking of the feathers and gutting. The language was fierce, the hooting and hollering out of this world.

The little stove was roaring. The mess tins greased. The lemons sliced just waiting for the pieces of chicken to be fried. We started out with four lip-smacking A/Gs but two WAGs wanted to join the feast. It was well past 10 p.m. – the meal, washed down with suds from the SGT Mess, was quite good. Our big problem was getting rid of the residue – someone opened the stove and dumped feathers and guts into the hot flames --- what a horrendous putrid odour. It took several days to get rid of the stench.

This story is to prove that four A/Gs in the RCAF were the first Canadians to kitchen test and eat Lemon chicken a la Wombleton. No after effects  -  that was sixty years ago.

Larry Bucoviz and Art Reichman completed a tour with 424 Squadron. Larry lives in Burnaby, BC, 604-298-7337. He would like to hear from his buddies. Frank McNally and I completed our tour with 429 Squadron.

Thanks.  Carman Brown

Bob Henderson has asked if anyone can identify this pin. 
7m tall, 4.5 cm wide
Reverse marked “ARO STERLING”
Long thin vertical pin with clasp on reverse.
The German Eagle between Britannia and the Soviet Hammer, Sickle, and Star.

You can contact Bob at:
Robert J. Henderson 
6015-15th Ave. 
Regina, SK   S4T 6V4 Canada 
Phone: 1.306.543.5822 


Norm Muffitt

 Ted Hackett thought you might be interested in this old 201 Sqdn photo taken at Castle Archdale in either late 1942 or the spring of 1943:

Front row seated:
F/L Norris, F/L Fairclough, F/L Hewitt, S/Ldr Flint, W/Cmdr J.D. Burnett, S/Ldr Bunting, F/L Sanderson, F/L Harvey, F/L Hayes, F/L D. Gall, Capt. Shelton
Middle Row
F/O Harcourt-Williams, F/O Matthey, F/O Robertson, F/O Louth, F/O B.E.H. Layne, F/O Gallemaerts, F/O Robinson, F/O Lingard, P/O Mold, F/O Bates, F/O Harrild, F/O E.E. Muffitt
Rear Row
F/O Hamer, P/O Jay, P/O HJodgson, F/O Davies, P/O Hewett, F/O Dunn, F/O Walters, F/O Wood, P/O Willert, P/O Alexander, F/O Stevens, P/O Harvey, F/O Dawson 

There may be the odd spelling error but other than the spelling for Muffitt I have reproduced the names exactly as I received them from Ireland. I do have a bit of history on some of the individuals shown if you are interested. 

Norm submitted the following pictures from his Dad’s collection. 

Catalinas – Killadees – 1941

Officers Mess Killadeas 1941

Sunderland Mk111 - 1943

Ted Hackett

I was reading through some old copies of Short bursts and came across the article by "Smokey" Robson, in the April 2002 issue, regarding the attack on the German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.  I have a friend in New Zealand, S/L D.S.N.Constance RNZAF (ret'd) who was one of the first pilots to serve with 408 Squadron and who took part in the attack and actually engaged the target.  He said that he could tell where they were by the flak coming up through the cloud.  He took his Hampden down out of the clouds at 200 feet and was subjected to such severe fire from the ships that serious damage was done to his aircraft including the loss of the port aileron. 

Despite the damage to his aircraft, he could no longer take evasive action, he pressed home the attack, made a run over the ships and dropped his bombs from 800 feet.  The Hampden was hit repeatedly, the cockpit wrecked, the instruments destroyed and the wireless equipment rendered unserviceable. A shell came up though the fuselage and went right between the legs of the WAG and out through the roof.  The chances of getting back to base seemed remote but through the skill and zeal of F/O R. Van den Bok, WAG, and P/O R.J.Hardingham, Nav, they managed to reach the UK. 

I remember him telling me that he had to hold the control column hard right to keep flying level and he said, " when we finished the run I just let go of the wheel and she turned port and headed for home". All members of the crew received the DFC. 

We first met "Tinny", as we knew him, when he arrived in Edmonton for the 1984, 408 Squadron reunion.  He returned to Canada again for reunions in 1988 and 1992 and came to stay with us on both occasions.  He resides now in Whangerei, NZ, on the north island and we correspond regularly. 

Here is the photo I mentioned, It is the damage to the port wing of S/L Constance’s aircraft after the attack on the battleships.

Ross Hamilton.

Beginning on page 16 (April Issue) is an article from Gordon Hobbs regarding his father Charlie Hobbs. (Small world again!!)

I knew Charlie Hobbs very well for many years when we were residents of Peterborough, Ont. for some 35 years. We belonged to the same clubs etc., and I corresponded with him when he was in Sunnybrooke Hospital. I had lost track of him, but his name turned up in an issue of Short Bursts of years ago. I knew he had passed away, and I have his book "Charlie's Story". Well done.

Rebecca Trissler

The story in this month's issue (April – Plane VS Sub.) was fascinating, and not in the least because it was written by the PR officer who died in my grandfather's plane crash, F/O David Griffin.  I always love reading those stories and you have no idea how much it has helped me getting things "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak.  I started this project thinking how easy it would be to write those sections and they ended up being the hardest of all once I realized how little I actually knew.

I am in the middle of finishing up the novel right now as a matter of fact but don't expect it to come out until next year in the late spring or early summer.  The back-end process seems to take an enormous amount of time but then that's what we must live with I suppose.  I will definitely be in touch with you when I expect to see galleys and will forward a copy to you at that time, and of course would be thrilled to have you review it for Short Bursts.

Best to you and all the gentlemen who helped me along my way--

Ed. Rebecca is writing a story regarding her Grandfather who was KIA on Coastal Command. Some of our members have corresponded with Rebecca, Glen Clearwater and Ross Hamilton to name two. We look forward to her finished work.

From: Peter Wilson Cunliffe 
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 2:07 PM
Subject: Pilsen Raid 1943 Lanc R5622

My Uncle was lost on the same raid as R5622 on the Air Gunners site. You may be interested in my site. Conversely anything on any aircraft crew or detail about this raid would be appreciated. 

(Peter is referring to the April article on Charlie Hobbs)

Dear Mr Moyles, 

I was delighted to come across your Short Bursts web site just now.  I am doing some research on allied and axis servicemen who were interned in Ireland during WW2, and write in the hope that some of your members may be able to help me. 

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with memories or information about Mr William A. Proctor, an RAF pilot who I understand was held at the Curragh camp from about Christmas 1940 until he escaped to Northern Ireland in July 1941. 

Any help at all would be much appreciated.
With many thanks. 
Yours sincerely, 
Deborah Cherry
33 Shuttleworth Road

A Request from Nancy O’Shea 
William Leslie O’Shea
Here is a scanned photo of my father.  His name was William Leslie O'Shea.  He was born in Ottawa in 1922 and died in Seaforth, Ontario 1990. 

He was a mid-upper gunner during the second world war.  He was part of the Pathfinder Force Group (8) based at Gransden Lodge.  I have a copy of his log  book and he was stationed at the following locations: 

100 Squadron  Grimsby 23/11/44 - 27/2/45. 
P.N.T.U. Warboys 
#156 Squadron Upswood   27/3/45 to dates unknown. 
Finally, Gransden Lodge, Pathfinder Force (8) Group 8/3/45 until the end of the war. 

The name of the crew members are as follows: 
William O'Shea mid-upper gunner, 
Jack Willis rear-gunner, 
Alan Templeton wireless operator, 
Jack Scholey pilot, 
Albert Amies bomb aimer, 
Don Lennox navigator. 

If anyone has any memories or recollections of William O’Shea, please contact Nancy O'Shea - Moses at or you can also reach me at 
250-658-8370 (please call collect). 

My mailing address is: 
977 Owlwood Place 
Victoria, B.C. V8X 4T3. 

Special thanks to Penny Willis for providing me with names and phone numbers. Please include this in your May issue. 


FAITHFUL AS EVER, Smokey Robson, President of the Northern Saskatchewan Branch, phoned to say their monthly luncheon was well attended with 22 members enjoying the camaraderie. 

Editors Report

It will be noted there is more Correspondence in this Issue. Children and grandchildren of Ex-servicemen are now searching for information relating to family veterans. Read these carefully, check your log book, you just may be able to help. If you served on the same Squadron or training base, a letter would certainly be appreciated.

August 14, 2004. Mark your calendar. We will see you at Nanton Lancaster Society Hangar, Nanton, AB. Who said Sept. 2000 was our last reunion.

There will be more Gen in future Issues.
Thanks to all who contributed to this Page.
Keep well.
John & Doreene Moyles – Editors
Please drop us some copy and pictures for the June Issue.
Keep well.
John and Doreene Moyles
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St.,
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112
Regional Meetings

Southern Ontario Chapter
Royal Canadian Legion
Wilson Branch 527
948 Sheppard Avenue West
We meet the first Wednesday of each month at the Legion hall 1:00 pm. 
No meetings July, August, September.
Contact persons: 
Ken Hill  ~  President ~  905.789.1912
Bill Cockburn  ~  Secretary ~  416.492.1024

Location - Royal Canadian Legion Br.#4 St. James Legion.
Date - Third Thursday of each month.
Time - Luncheon meeting (provide your own lunch).
Contact Member - Charlie Yule Ph. (204) 254-6264.

Northern Saskatchewan
Location - Lynx Wing Ave. C North, Saskatoon.
Date - Third Monday of the month.
Time - Luncheon meetings.
Contact Member - C.A. "Smokey" Robson  Ph. (306) 374-0547.

Northern Alberta Branch
Location - Norwood Branch 178, 11150 – 82 Street, Edmonton, AB
Date -  The first Thursday of each month.
Time - 12:00 hours.
Contact Members - E. H. "Ted" Hackett (780)962-2904 
or Sven Jensen (780)465-7344.

Southern Alberta
Location - Royal Canadian Legion  #264 
Kensington, Calgary
Date: Second Monday of each month.
Time - 11:30 hours.
Contact Member: Dave Biggs Ph: (403)236-7895
or Doug Penny Ph: (403)242-7048.
October meeting time moved to third Monday. 
Also there are no meetings in July and August, however, a Barbecue is usually held  at Larry Robinson's ranch in Okatoks during that time.

British Columbia Branch

Meeting time and local: 2nd Tuesday of each month at 11:30 
Firefighters Social & Athletic Club, 
6515 Bonsor Avenue, 
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 3E8 
Super eating facilities
Contact person - Dave Sutherland       Ph. 604-431-0085

Members across the Country are encouraged to 
send current information regarding 
regular meeting places, dates, and Contact Members, to

John and Doreene Moyles, 
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St., 
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112


Members are requested to send their experiences, articles, anecdotes, pictures, etc., to John Moyles and I will forward them to our Web Master in Brandon. Articles and Last Post items will be deleted from the page each month after the designated Member in each region has had an opportunity to copy the material for their Members. Notices of deceased Members are to be sent to Charlie Yule who is still our 'Keeper of the Rolls'. This is your SHORT BURSTS with no printing or mailing costs, and no deadlines! 
We thank our Web Master, Bill Hillman, for his volunteer time and expertise.
As You Were . . .
Tribute Webzines
Navigation Chart to the
Hillman WWII Tributes
Short Bursts
Ex-Air Gunners Association

Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum: RCAFHMCS Prince Robert: Hillman WWII Scrapbook - RCNXII Dragoons - 26 RCA Museum
Webmaster: William G. Hillman
Editor and Webmaster Bill Hillman ~ Copyright 1996-2021
 © 2008 Bill Hillman and Ex-Air Gunners Association