Bill Hillman Presents
Forces: Land ~ Air ~ Sea ~ Home
Compiled by Bill Hillman
FLASH. . . Editor and Webmaster: Bill Hillman:
MARCH 2005

Lancaster (Rolls Royce water-cooled V-12 engines)

D. J. Hicks 550 Squadron, Tail Gunner

North Killinghome, Lancashire, was the home of the Royal Air Force 550 Squadron. This was a heavy bomber unit flying Lancaster Bombers. The Lancaster, a four-engine bomber, used Rolls Royce water-cooled V-12 engines. The aircraft was very rugged and was the mainstay of the R.A.F. bomber force. On this squadron was one very distinguished Lancaster, named "V", for Victory.  Its first crew called it, "The Vulture strikes". Although amateurishly done, the name was painted on its nose along with a rendition of a vulture. Although not kept up to date, there were bomb symbols that indicated the number of trips that the aircraft had made over enemy territory. When we were assigned this aircraft, there were in excess of 70 bomb symbols. Its claim to fame was that it had safely completed more than ninety trips over enemy territory. The latest crew assigned to this aircraft, "V", had completed their required 30 trips and were now on leave. The practice, when a crew was on leave, was to lend the aircraft out to an inexperienced crew, who had to 'sort of win their wings' before being assigned their own aircraft to use on future trips. On this date February 14, 1945, we were the inexperienced crew using "V". The Target tonight is Chemitz. It was only our second trip, but we were using "V", The Vulture Strikes. We felt safe in a sense, using this aircraft, as it seemed almost invincible. We had no difficulty over the target, but upon return to England we found that there was some problem with the aircraft's hydraulic system. This we accepted knowingly, as old "V" was getting on in age, and we had encountered other problems on previous flights. The procedure in the RAF was, when trouble was encountered, you would not use your home base, as the possibility of having a bad prang would render the home base useless to other returning aircraft. We proceeded to the alternative airport, Woodbridge, and landed safely, even without the hydraulics working properly. On landing, we could see a Halifax bomber (another four-engine RAF bomber) off to the side of the main runway. It had landed a few minutes prior to us, slid off the runway, and caught fire. All that was recognizable was the tail section; the remainder was now just a pile of ash. The practice at these emergency airports was to use a bulldozer to push any disabled aircraft off the runway, so as to keep it open and serviceable for other returning, damaged aircraft.
From left to right:
F/O R.D.Harris  R.C.A.F.   Pilot
Sgt. M.T.Ditson   R.C.A.F  Mid Upper
Sgt  G.P.Keller   R.A.F.   WOP
F/SGT. D.J.Yemen  R.C.A.F.  Navigator
Sgt.  K.B.Smith   R.A.F.  Engineer
Sgt. D.J.Hicks  R.C.A.F.   Tail Gunner
F/O  G.J.Nichol   R.C.A.F.  Bomb Aimer
Upon debriefing, as was normal after all trips; I encountered a Canadian tail gunner from another Lancaster that had used this airport because of trouble encountered over the target. It seems while on their final bombing run they noticed another bomber, a Halifax, attempting to evade a German night fighter. The Halifax had taken violent evasive action, and in one of it swings it came up under the tail of the Lancaster, and its nose came into contact with the underside of the tail gunner's turret. The gunner reported that when he had last seen the Halifax, it was out of control and in a downward spiral. The German fighter then attacked the Lancaster and they were jolted back into reality as they fought for their own survival.  When talking to this crew, their concern was not of their own safety or that they had arrived safely at this base, but what had happened to the crew of the Halifax? They prayed that this Halifax crew had been able to recover and land safely. This feeling seemed to be prevalent with all aircrews, and I, myself, would experience these same feelings as my career as a gunner continued. 

         When daylight came, we two gunners went out to look at his aircraft.  There certainly was a huge dent under the tail gunner's turret. I jokingly remarked to him that when he saw the Halifax coming up and hitting his Lancaster, that he must have been quick to pull his feet up.

      Our aircraft, "V" for Vulture, was checked out, and no malfunction was found, so we returned to our home base.

        "V" had now completed some ninety-four trips. The previous crew returned from leave, and were now advised that the number of trips required to complete a tour was upped from thirty to thirty-six.  We were told this was done so as not to have to train new aircrew, as it was evident that the war was coming to a close.  This crew then again donned their flying suits and not only completed the required number of trips, but brought back "V" for Vulture safely with a hundred trips under its belt. The squadron celebrated the event with a gala party. Throughout the history of the Lancaster aircraft, there were only a score of them that passed the 100 trip mark, and so it was quite an occasion. 
  "V" for Vulture went out on it's 101st. trip. It did not return.

  I remember vividly the handsome young New Zealander who was the tail gunner on this ill-fated trip. 

 Some six months, and many more adventures later, I found myself in Bournemoth England awaiting repatriation back to Canada. I made an acquaintance of another Canadian gunner who was also awaiting the trip home to Canada. It turned out that he was the tail gunner of the ill-fated Halifax that had collided with the Lancaster while trying to evade the German night fighter. He told me that the Halifax had not been badly damaged, but the Plexiglas nose section had been sheered off, and the resulting rush of air blew the crew back to the rear of the aircraft. This air stream was so violent and very cold, as it was not unusual to have temperatures of 20 below at that altitude. As they were near the Russian lines, the pilot decided to fly over to the Russian held territory, and then the crew would bail out of the aircraft. When they reached Russian Territory, the crew jumped, but the pilot, because of the intense wind and cold, was virtually frozen in his seat. He could not get himself out of the pilot's seat and so was forced to land the aircraft. All of the crew survived and were later repatriated to England via the well-known Murmansk Route. Russian hospitality was not the best, and seven months passed before they were returned to England. All of the Halifax crew was extremely concerned about what happened to the Lancaster that they had collided with, and it was the topic of many conversations they had while in Russia. They were quite elated when I was able to confirm to them that the crew of the Lancaster was safe, with no injuries, and that I had talked to them.

 When I recall this encounter I am somewhat amazed that for a time I was the only person who was aware of the fate of these two bomber crews who met by "accident". I felt pleased that I was able at least inform one crew of what turned out to be a happy ending.

All of the Gunners involved in this incident were Canadians,  It is possible that those Gunners may remember the incident.

From Newsletter Vol. 20 Issue 4.
By Greg Sigurdson – Editor
Considering the progress made at the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum over the last year, no one could possibly call the place a static mausoleum of dusty, old artefacts. The changes have been swift and impressive thanks in great part to the leadership of two dedicated volunteers. It is not usually our way to single out any particular volunteer for individual praise, because all of the volunteers make significant contributions to our objectives, but the work of John McNarry and Angus Sneesby in the redevelopment of our Museum has been genuinely Above and Beyond!

Both have found a fine balance between the mental and physical demands of our redevelopment projects – as managers of the Planning Committee, advisors to the Capital Committee and as construction labourers. The dedication of Angus and John is greatly appreciated.

The artefacts most profoundly affected by the efforts of the museum volunteers over the last six months has been the Canteen Building. Located at the North East corner of Aviation Avenue and Commonwealth Way, the canteen building has:

1. been moved of its old foundation and back onto a new, insulated, hot-water heated cement slab foundation in the exact same location;
2. had its badly deteriorated lean-to demolished and rebuilt new as before;
3. been re-shingled with cedar on the main roof and all sides, and rolled red roofing on the lean-to.

Canteen Building
Work continues inside and with the fabrication and installation of new windows. Eventually the Canteen will be a fully functional space big enough to accommodate a couple of undress visitors for a meeting or catered social function.

Work continues on the Motor Transport/Beam Approach training (MT/BAT) building. 

Construction began late last year and continue with the work crews working to finish the installation of garage doors (all fabricated at the CATP Museum), regular doors, windows and installation of wiring, wood floor and heating components in the BAT portion of the building. Volunteer have also applied a couple of coats of BCATP (or should that be Canadian World War 11 military) green paint.

MT/BAT building
Attention of the Planning Committee and work crews is shifting to the CATP H-Hut. With generous assistance from the Government of Canada, we are likely to see movement – literally and shortly – from its current storage location near the entrance to the Museum grounds to permanent placement adjacent to the new MT/BAT building. The Planning Committee is finalizing detail for the building foundation. Based on its intended dual purpose – archives storage, graphic arts and administration in the South leg of the building and mock-up displays (bunk house, link trainer and other) in the North leg – engineers and architects are currently designing an appropriate foundation to accommodate these diverse needs.

Although we continue to receive artefacts from numerous locations, our motor transport collection has been increased by leaps and bounds. This is evidenced by the acquisition of two new “heavy” (by WW 11 standards) trucks and a 1940 international K3 panel van – soon to be redeveloped as an ambulance.
All of the Museum’s project would not be possible without the generosity of our volunteers who donate their time and those individuals and organizations who have made cash and gift-in-kind donations to the Museum.

"Press on Regardless..."

Dear Members and Friends of Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada),

Please find enclosed the latest developments in our historic quest to find RCAF Halifax LW170.

I hope to have even more exciting news later this month after my trips to Whitehall, London to begin technical discussions with the Royal Navy.

Registered CHARITY NUMBER 84586 5740 RR0001

Progress Report Number 5
Charitable Status and Royal Navy Help

On the 60th Anniversary of this date in early 1945 our Halifax LW170 was with RAF 518 Met. Squadron at Tiree, Scotland. She had survived her combat days when flown by Canadians and an American in RCAF 424 Squadron. Now she was providing less exciting results but all important weather data to the Allied forces as they moved forward into fortress Europe and the drive to Victory.

Every day I wake up and think of the sacrifices and excellence of those bomber crews and airborne warriors who fought for our freedom. I ask myself what can I do to make this project move forward faster for this is the best year in all the years ahead to do this project. I would like to report some vital and essential advances in our quest to locate and recover LW170. Time is of the essence for myself today, in more ways than one, so I will shorten this Progress Reprt Number 5 with the promise of the issue of Number 6 as soon as possible, hopefully in February.

I am very pleased to announce that "Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada)" has received status as a  Registered Charity from Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. This all important status will enable and ensure that we can move forward with our fund raising for the expensive activities of this historic project to recover LW170. This means that, along with the ability to issue tax deductible receipts to each and every donation for the project from our members and supporters, we can apply to all foundations and corporations for the financial support we need for the location and recovery of our "Hallie". Our Registered Charity Status is effective from November 4, 2004 and our Charity business number is 84586  5740  RR0001. To all of you who donated  funds to our cause in 2004 we thank you and you will receive your tax receipts in due course and on time. 

The day of Jan. 17,  2005 was a very good day as not only did we receive our Charitable status, with all of the huge implications for fund raising and success of our project, we also received a letter of good news from the Ministry of Defence of the United Kingdom with a positive response to my proposal for assistance from the Royal Navy to locate LW170. Halifax LW170 is sunk in an area which has been surveyed by the Royal Navy and they have agreed to meet with yours truly in early February at Whitehall, London to begin assistance with our efforts to pinpoint LW170. I am very pleased with their response to my request and will be able to report back to you in mid Feb.of the possibilities and progress for the Halifax Project after our meeting at Whitehall with the Naval staff.

As our diligence and determination is now beginning to bear fruit in these concrete ways I must tell you that I will be relying on your support and donations to keep us, "Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada)", moving forward to our goal of LW170. I have paid some of our legal costs incurred for our Charitable status application from your kind donations and support while paying certain costs from my own pockets. Now the funds are low and we must pay off the remainder of our lawyers bills and hopefully replenish our account for the activities ahead to raise the all important funds for our Halifax project.

As Project Manager I would like all those people who expressed interest in donating to our cause, IF we could get Charitable status and issue tax receipts, to please come forward NOW and send your cheques/checks to "Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada)". We must pay off these legal fees ( which were $1750 total ) and move forward to our goal. You can see the potential here with all the latest positive steps taken, with much effort and some personal expense. I am trusting in your sincerity and enthusiasm so will be waiting for your tangible support to keep the ball rolling towards the target, LW170. 

She is out there waiting for us. For her and her crews, indeed all those gallant crews who paid so dearly in Victory and for all our freedoms, I ask you now to please step up and support this historic cause.

Standby for further reports soon.

This is the aircraft Karl is going to raise. She took 6 hours to sink so should be in good condition. Just covered in barnacles like the rest of us.

Karl Kjarsgaard
Project manager
Suite 212-2980 Colonial Road
Sarsfield, Ontario
K0A 3E0

Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada)
phone 613 835 1748


John – further to my article on Canadian PoW W. Vanzant in September 2004 issue of Short Bursts. A few more details of one of the events described.

The most tragic event occurred on April 30 1944, while F/Sgt. Vanzant rested on his bunk at Stalag 1VB. Around 2:00 pm on that date, witnesses observed a low-flying JU-88 from nearby Lonnewitz night-fighter training airfield approaching. This was a stunt often performed by “Hot Shot” Luftwaffe pilots in those days, in an apparent attempt to impress the PoW held in Muehlberg  PoW camp.

It struck the camp perimeter fence and electrical wires (neither more than fifteen feet height) between the sentry box and the chapel, roaring across the PoW compound where it struck Canadian W/O2 Herbert David Mallory from behind, killing him. (He was from 
Woodstock, NB, and was 22 years old). Also struck was Canadian F/Sgt. PoW #222744, F/Sgt. W. W. Massie (R150556), who received a broken leg.

The aircraft continued in the air, trailing fence wire, and barely missing another guard tower. One occupant of the tower baled out, breaking his thigh.

The pilot apparently managed to land back at the airfield, where he was “dealt with” by his Commander within an hour of the incident occurring. One can expect that he was sent to the Russian Front, and probably did not survive the war.

From Mountain Viewpoint Newsletter of RCAF Station, Mountain View, Ont.
Vol 2 – No. 25, August 1945

The big Lancaster broke through the clouds at 2000 feet. Below them was Le Havre, and below them too was an enemy gun position. The anti-aircraft batteries must have been as thick a flies around honey because in a matter of seconds they were hit three times! The first got them in the bomb bay and set off the target indicators and fired a header tank.

Immediately the aircraft filed with smoke and flames. The second tore off ten feet of the starboard wing and the third went right through the same wing between the fuel tanks and tore a hole the size of a washtub.

The Skipper opened a window and ordered the escape hatch jettisoned. He feathered the two starboard propellers, dumped the bomb load and ordered the crew to abandon the aircraft while he strove to maintain enough altitude to allow them to jump safely. The Bombardier and Navigator managed to revive the two knocked out airmen and see them safely over the side. The flight Engineer, the only RAF member of the crew, in his excitement pulled his ‘chute’ and tangled it I the Pilot’s controls. They helped him gather it up in his arms and assisted him to the escape hatch. But it was jammed half way. They pulled and pushed and finally, door, Engineer, ‘chute’ and all dropped from sight. Then they bailed out.

By the time the Skipper hit the silk the aircraft was down to 600 feet and his ‘cute’ just opened as he hit the ground and he landed on one shoulder bruising it badly. That was the only injury suffered by any of them! They all landed safely in friendly territory except the tail gunner who was made prisoner by the Germans.

(Remember that this was written in 1945) 

The Bomb Aimer of this fortunate crew and now a trainee on the Long Armament Course here at Mountain View, F/L Reginald “Reg” Swartz was  awarded a bar to his DFC for the above exploit. When asked how he was decorated the first time , he replied, “Oh, the usual thing – devotion to duty – and gallantry in action – that sort of stuff.”

Reg, who in addition to the DFC and Bar has the ’39-43 Star, the CVSM and Maple Leaf, the gold Pathfinder Squadron Eagle, the Ops Wing and Bar for two tours, and the Caterpillar membership insignia for hitting the silk, hails from West Lome, Ont., and before the war was an employee of Simpsons in Toronto. He enlisted in the RCAF in  March 1942 and received his wing and commission in May 1943. He was shipped overseas immediately and joined 405 Pathfinder Squadron.

In his two tours Reg put in about 250 hours of tough flying – usually “Master of Ceremonies” jobs. These consisted of leading the way and marking the target for the late arrivals.

Except for one early change the same crew stuck together through it all. 

Pilot – W/C Howie Morrison, DSO, DFC, from Lauder, Manitoba, and now at AFHQ Ottawa

The Navigator F/L Mickey Queale, DFC and Bar, from Victoria B.C., now also stationed at AFHQ.

Wireless operator P/O Red D’Arcy from St. John’s N.B. and now at Moncton.

The only one not decorated, Red proves that it’s not best to sass your O.C. P/O Benny Benabo, DFM, the Mid-Upper Gunner, is back overseas.

The Tail GunnerP/O Bill Kubiak, DFC,  from Montreal is now at No. 1 AC Trenton. 

Flight Engineer, WO1 Roy Matcham. DFC, RAF, whose home is Southhampton, England, is now in Ferry Command at Dorval. 

The Bomb Aimer and second Navigator, of course was Reg.

In the total flying done by this crew  the incident over Le Havre was the only one out of the ordinary, although they had many hot receptions, especially over Berlin which they visited nine times. They were also over Stuttgart four times and Frankfurt three times.

While talking of England, Reg said that the Canadian girls were, on the average, better looking but not quite as friendly as the girls in England. He admired their fortitude and courage under the buzz bomb attacks and raved about the old English institution, the “Pub”. All in all, he really enjoyed his stay. 

(Ed. The tenor of this article written in 1945, reflects the attitude of service men and women who had lived through five years of war.)


Charley Yule,

I have just been talking to Ryan Fitzgerald who is working with Don Young, the Producer of the [BCATP documentary].  These people represent 'FRANTIC FILMS, a company who have produced other documentaries of re-enactment's of Historic Events.

They are still interviewing ex aircrew personnel (mainly 'Gunners') which will be included in the finished film.  All is going well with finishing touches being added, upgraded or finalized.  The Title, which was originally announced as, "Reach for the Sky" may be changed before being broadcast on the History Channel.  There are 4 - 1 hour segments, and it is not certain if they will be broadcast on consecutive nights, weeks, or just what the format will be.  This, of course, will be ascertained prior to the showing of the first segment, and one way or another this information will, hopefully, be conveyed to as many of our readers as possible, through the March and April issues of 'SHORT BURSTS'.

The TV History Channel has obtained the 'rights'  to broadcast the Series, with the first segment presently scheduled for APRIL 15th, 2005.  Watch your local newspapers or TV Guides for confirmation of dates and times.

We have also been advised that, following the final broadcast of the Series, the complete tape will be made available for sale (commercial free) to anyone interested in purchasing them.  You will hear more about this as time goes along.  For those who may wish to tape the Series as they are shown, this will necessitate including all commercials unless you edit them 'out'  as you go along.

For further information on this film production see:

Robin Hillman at the Crash Site Memorial to
His Uncle and the Crew of Lancaster KB879

Actor Robin Hillman and Producer Don Young
On Location at a Canadian cemetery in Belgium


I am still working on my book about the DC-3. Have had quite a lot of assistance but am still doing research. 

One of the famous uses for the DC-3 was the flights out of India " over the hump" into China where I believe they supplied some of the Chinese armies and Gen. Claire Chenault and his Flying Tigers. I can find no information that 435/436 Squadrons did any of this work.

Was this done by American fliers? I know DC-3s were used as there was a special model with extra fuel capacity and superchargers (because of the height over the Himalayas).

Do you know anything about this John? or where I could get information ?
                                             All the best, John.
                                                        Don Butt.

DC3 painted to represent KE 374, the aircraft of 271 Squadron 
Piloted at Arnhem on September 19, 1944  by F/L David Lord, DFC, 
who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.

Dear John and Doreen Moyles - I enjoyed very much reading some of the stories written about and by old RCAF and RAF Air Gunners.  I am a Scotsman living in China and I would like you all to know that the courage of the Canadian forces in WW2 will never be forgotten and always appreciated.  Thank you and God Bless –

 Ian Black 


Dear sirs, l am researching a book about RCAF Skipton on Swale, England, and its squadrons: 420 432 433 and 424. I am interested in tracing members of these squadrons with a view to sharing their experiences. I would be most grateful for any information on this subject. Kind regards, Michael L. Pepe

Hello John, Thank you so much for your help. I was born and raised at Skipton so the base is of special interest to me. I must say that your site is about the best l’ve seen and long may it continue. Before moving to my present address, l lived in an ex-RAF house at Middleton St George, now Teesside Airport and in '85 a group of RCAF vets came over for the anniversary.

I was privileged to meet many of them but did not record their stories. What an opportunity missed! My home address is;
                                            Michael Pepe
                                            8 West Road
                                            North Yorkshire
                                            YO14 9LP

The town you will have visited would most probably been Harrogate as it was very popular with the boys. Thanks again for your time and l look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes, Michael.

(Ed. Michael’s reference to Harrogate refers to 
my Skipton experience I sent him. I will share it with you.)

I was on 422 Squadron (Sunderlands) South Wales, but I had an old school friend, Bud Duller, who was an aero engine mechanic at Skipton. One leave I went up to Skipton to visit Bud. He told me that the chap in the next bunk was away and I could sleep there. Neither one of us stopped to think of the fact that I was a Flying Officer (wireless air gunner) and Bud, an LAC, in an airman's barracks.

However, I was accepted. Bud had to work on the flight line but we planned to go into Harrogate that evening (I think that was the town). Bud asked me to press his best blues so we could get an early start. 

The barracks was deserted. I set up their ironing board and started pressing Bud's uniform. The door opened and in walked an RAF Group Captain, a Flight looey, and a Warrant Officer. I presumed they were giving the Old Boy a tour. When they saw a young Flying Officer performing batman duties in an airman' barracks, the dirt hit the fan.

G/C, "What are you doing?"

I came to attention with hot iron at the present, and sort of cocky inferring, 'isn't it obvious', said, "Pressing my friend's uniform, Sir."

I had never seen a man turn purple before. He turned to the F/L and snapped, "take this man's name and number." The F/L turned to the W/O and repeated the command. As they walked away I think I heard the words, 'damn Colonials'.

Bud got off work at five and we went into Harrogate for a great evening. We were just a couple of old school buddies from home. Rank meant nothing.

Neither one of us heard further about this incident.

Editors Report

It is with great sadness that we report the passing of Gene Hackett, the wife and life partner of Ted Hackett, Sherwood Park, Alberta. Gene was very active in the Ex-Air Gunner’s Association, attending and helping organize our reunions, and supporting Ted in his involvement with the Association. Our condolences to Ted and family.

I wish to apologize to Members who receive the CATP Museum Newsletter, CONTACT as we have used two of the articles from the last Issue. However, I justify this by assuming that, at our age, we will not remember what we read a month previous.

Don’t miss Michael Pepe’s request for information on Skipton-on-Swale. Many of our Members served at this base and Michael would appreciate hearing from you. I have mailed Michael the account of Skipton from our COMMEMORATIVE ISSUE 1983-1993  pg. 146 ff.

Don’t forget to pass the hat for our benefactor, the CATP Museum, at your next luncheon.

Please take time to send us material for the News Letter. 

Until April, “April showers bring May flowers”, sounds good doesn’t it, keep well.

John & Doreene Moyles  Editors.

Please drop us some copy and pictures for the March Issue.
Keep well.
John and Doreene Moyles
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St.,
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112
Regional Meetings

Southern Ontario Chapter
Royal Canadian Legion
Wilson Branch 527
948 Sheppard Avenue West
We meet the first Wednesday of each month at the Legion hall 1:00 pm. 
No meetings July, August, September.
Contact persons: 
Ken Hill  ~  President ~  905.789.1912
Bill Cockburn  ~  Secretary ~  416.492.1024

Location - Royal Canadian Legion Br.#4 St. James Legion.
Date - Third Thursday of each month.
Time - Luncheon meeting (provide your own lunch).
Contact Member - Charlie Yule Ph. (204) 254-6264.

Northern Saskatchewan
Location - Lynx Wing Ave. C North, Saskatoon.
Date - Third Monday of the month.
Time - Luncheon meetings.
Contact Member - C.A. "Smokey" Robson  Ph. (306) 374-0547.

Northern Alberta Branch
Location - Norwood Branch 178, 11150 – 82 Street, Edmonton, AB
Date -  The first Thursday of each month.
Time - 12:00 hours.
Contact Members - E. H. "Ted" Hackett (780)962-2904 
or Sven Jensen (780)465-7344.

Southern Alberta
Location - Royal Canadian Legion  #264 
Kensington, Calgary
Date: Second Monday of each month.
Time - 11:30 hours.
Contact Member: Dave Biggs Ph: (403)236-7895
or Doug Penny Ph: (403)242-7048.
October meeting time moved to third Monday. 
Also there are no meetings in July and August, however, a Barbecue is usually held  at Larry Robinson's ranch in Okatoks during that time.

British Columbia Branch 
Meeting time and local: 2nd Tuesday of each month at 11:30 
Firefighters Social & Athletic Club, 
6515 Bonsor Avenue, 
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 3E8 
Super eating facilities 
Contact person - Dave Sutherland       Ph. 604-431-0085 

Members across the Country are encouraged to 
send current information regarding 
regular meeting places, dates, and Contact Members, to

John and Doreene Moyles, 
Ste. 233 - 1060 Dorothy St., 
Regina, Sask.     S4X 3C5  CANADA
Ph. (306) 949-6112


Members are requested to send their experiences, articles, anecdotes, pictures, etc., to John Moyles and I will forward them to our Web Master in Brandon. Articles and Last Post items will be deleted from the page each month after the designated Member in each region has had an opportunity to copy the material for their Members. Notices of deceased Members are to be sent to Charlie Yule who is still our 'Keeper of the Rolls'. 
This is your SHORT BURSTS with no printing or mailing costs, and no deadlines! 
We thank our Web Master, Bill Hillman, for his volunteer time and expertise.

As You Were . . .
Tribute Webzines
Navigation Chart to the
Hillman WWII Tributes
Short Bursts
Ex-Air Gunners Association

Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum: RCAFHMCS Prince Robert: Hillman WWII Scrapbook - RCNXII Dragoons - 26 RCA Museum
Webmaster: William G. Hillman
Editor and Webmaster Bill Hillman ~ Copyright 1996-2021
 © 2008 Bill Hillman and Ex-Air Gunners Association