Bill Hillman Presents
Forces: Land ~ Air ~ Sea ~ Home
Compiled by Bill Hillman
FLASH. . . Editor and Webmaster: Bill Hillman:
MAY 2007
This Page is dedicated to the Dakota C-47, Transport Command’s Gooney Bird, Work Horse, and the crews who flew her, with no armament, in hostile skies over enemy territory.

Part One – Wartime service

We thank Clarence Dixon (Air Gunner’s Association #237) for this material on a famous Dakota that still graces the skies today. 

Clarence writes:  I have recently received this literature from a friend in Holland. Mr. VanHees wrote a book called Green On all about the invasion of Arnhem. My crew was with 48 Squadron and took part in Operation Market Garden, also took gliders and paratroops in on D-Day.

This aircraft KG395 was used on 48 Squadron and my crew flew it many times, carrying in supplies, dropping paratroops, towing gliders and. bringing back wounded. It still amazes me that this Dakota is still flying.

My son has contacted Mr. Don Brooks and at present he is installing a new motor and re-doing the cockpit. Doug Brooks, with Dak KG395, attends airshows in the Southern States. We have contacted the people involved with the Saskatooon Air Show to see if it would be possible to have this Dakota and Mr. Brooks attend the Saskatoon Air show in August. They seem to think this would be quite expensive and doubt very much if this could be possible.

I still get news letters from the Down Ampney Assn. Where 48 Squadron was stationed. 

This is a photo of our crew when we were on our first tour at Gibrraltar.
I am the only survivor of the crew.
I put in my first tour on Hudsons and my second tour on Dakotas.

Pilot  F/L Loades  RAF
Nav.  F/L Palin  RAF
WAG  F/O Dixon  RCAF
WAG  Sgt. Todd  RCAF

Don’s D-Day Dakota. The Saga of KG395
By Kevin S. Tanner

With today's Warbird movement, it's not uncomon for groups or individuals to pour millions of dollars into a restoration project. There are numerous shops around the world that specialize in such endeavours. However there is one thing which no shop or craftsmen can produce nor money can buy – a true combat history. This is, perhaps, one of the most sought after characteristic of todays restoration projects. Individuals comb the jungles, oceans and mountain sides to find relics which long ago saw combat against the enemy.

One such aircraft exists in Douglas Georgia. This aircraft was not removed from the depths or retrieved from a perch on some mountain side. Instead, like the many crews who flew in her, she was able to complete her missions and return home safely. If asked then, many of its wartime crews would probably have laughed at the possibility that it would still be flying 62 years later. The aircraft to which we are referring is Don Brooks’s veteran C47 Dakota.

United States Army Air Force C-47A s/n 44-92606/N99FS rolled off the assembly line at DouglasAircraft’s Oklahoma City factory during January 1944. The aircraft was assigned the manufacturers construction number 12425. After the Lend Lease act was passed in 1941, many United States-built military aircraft were made available to Allied nations to oppose the Axis threat. As part of this Act, this C-47 was assigned to the Royal Air Force as a Dakota III. The British assigned the aircraft the serial KG395 and the Dakota was flown to Dorval, in Canada, on 10th. Of February 1944, where it was turned over to RAF Ferry Command for its flight to the United Kingdom. On the 19th. Of February, the aircraft was then ferried to Down Ampney, Gloucestershire, England, and was assigned to 48 Squadron, 46 Group. 

Airborne Forces Grouip 46 was formed under the Royal Air Force Transport Command in January 1944. The Group was made up of five Squadrons, which comprised 150 Dakotas. With the invasion of Festung Europe fast approaching, KG395 was flown on numerous training missions towing British Horsa gliders and dropping Airborne troops and supplies. On 3 May, Pilot F/L F.W. Smith and his crew flew a three hour training mission to perfect the use of the primary radio navigation system they would be using during the Normandy invasion. Later that month the same crew  flew KG395 on a glider formation cross country exercise.

KG359 today with D-Day USAAF markings.
The “Black Cat” Catalina in the background.

KG395 was given the Squadron code 12 and the call sign AB (Able Baker). On 6 June, 1944, at 18:52, KG395 took off from Down Ampeny towing a troop laden Horsa glider. The crew for this mission was F/L R.R. Keiller, Co-Pilot W/O R.T. Berry, Navigstor  F/Sgt. S.H. Birch, and Wireless Operator W/O J.I. Perry. Escorted by Spitfires and Mustangs, the Dakotas and their gliders made safe landfall over France near the mouth of the Caen Canal. KG395 released its glider over the landing area at 21:04. On the return leg back to Down Ampney, light and heavy flak was encountered and some light damage was sustained.

On June 27, F/L Keiller and his crew flew KG395 on a standard mission to Hurn to pick up 19 airmen. They then proceeded to advanced landing ground B6 in France. The passengers departed and 18 stretcher patients were loaded for the flight back to England.

On July 8, KG395 undertook another supply mission, this time with a different crew led by F/O G.S. Taylor. Once again, the Dakota would fly in much-needed supplies and return with stretcher patients. In the mean time another operation was being planned.

Operation Market Garden
Operation Market Garden was conceived by General Montgomery and was a two-phase plan which was to strike through the Low Countries. A crossing of the Rhine River North of the Siegfried Line was to be undertaken.  Garden was the code name for the British 2nd Army’s thrust into Germany, while Market was the code for the airborne phase of the operation. The Airborne troops’ mission was to secure the bridges over the Willhelmina Canal at Eindhoven, the River Maas at Grave, the Weal at Nijmegen, and the lower Rhine at Arnhem.

On Sept. 17. KG395 took off towing a Horsa glider chalk number 282 bound for the landing zone at Arnhem. All the gliders were cast off and made safe landings while the tug aircraft made it back to Down Ampney. A second glider mission was flown to Arnhem and this time KG395 was towing chalk number 813.

The second go-around for this trip would not be as smooth. The Germans had fortified and increased their defences and heavy flak was encountered.. Many aircraft received damage, but all made it back safely to England.. On September 19, KG395 took off on a mission with 15 other Dakotas to drop ammunition and supplies to the First Airbourne Division. Two Dakotas were shot down by heavy flak. The crew for this mission were S/L T.W. Smith, C-Pilot J.R. Hemsworth, and Wireless Operator F/Sgt. J.I. Andersdon.

Memorial at Arnhem dedicated Summer of 2006.
To the memory of the Royal Air Force, 
Commonwealth, and United States, Aircrew 
who died on Operation Market Garden, September 1944.

Operation Varsity
Operation Varsity would be the largest and most successful single airlift operation of the war in Europe. The Allies were ready to make the final push into Germany by crossing the Rhine near Wessel. They learned the hard lessons of Operation Market Garden and adjusted their strategy accordingly. The Airborne Units were tasked with taking the high ground Northeast of Wessel on the enemy’s side of the river. They also took and held the Issel River bridges for advancing Allied forces. To be closer to their drop zones, RAF Transport Command Squadrons and their gliders re-positioned to airfields in East Anglia. One of these fields was Birch, which was home for 437 Squadron. Birch was 8 miles Southwest of Colchester and the Dakotas and Horsars, along with KG395 were flown there March 21.

On March 24, KG395 took off with 23 other Dakotas towing Horsa gliders with 230 personnel crammed inside. In addition to their human cargo, the gliders also carried jeeps, six-pounder guns and ammunition. The crew for this mission was Pilot F/O J.H. Sinbad Phillips, Co-Pilot  F/Sgt. R.W. Green, Navigator F/O W.J. Hughs, and Wireless Operator, F/Sgt. R.E. Frank. The aircraft dropped their heavily loaded gliders 20 miles across the Rhine. KG395 received some bullet holes in the port wing, but fortunately, no structural damage.

After this successful operation, KG395 was relegated to a busy flying schedule hauling supplies to the front and and bringing back the wounded. Transport also performed a somewhat humanitarian role, flying refugees from the Belsen concentration camp in Germany to hospitals in Belgium. KG395 then flew the Berlin Corridor in July 1945  to deliver food from Denmark to the participants in the Potsdam Conference.

After ten days of preparation, which included  the fitting of extra fuel tanks in the fuselage for its long trip to Canada, the Dakota departed Oldham on June 16, 1946, and headed for Goose Bay.

In June Page we will record the post-war history of Dakota KG395 and introduce you to Don Brooks the Daks present day owner. Stay tuned.

Commemorative Issue 1983 – 1993  Page 77
Transport and Army Air Support Squadrons

Murray Conrad, Wireless Air Gunner 269, 233, 437, 287 Squadrons.

There were many jobs involved in the Transport flying area e.g. Ferry Command, VIP Transport, Army Air Support, Transport of Army Personnel, Transport of wounded, ex-PoWs etc. My experience in Transport Command with 233 (RAF) Squadron and 437 (RCAF) Squadron was in the Army Air Support role.

Dakota Squadrons were put together using experienced personnel from Coastal Command Squadrons broken up in 1944 before the Second Front invasion. They were to receive extensive training in preparation for the invasion June 6, 1944. The heavy schedule of night and day training included aircrew, glider personnel, especially pilots and paratroopers. Many exercises were carried out in the months preceding the night of June 5th.  All personnel were well prepared, including WAAF nurses assigned to aircrew, training to care for the many wounded transported from the battle areas to the UK.

The Dakota crew consisted of a Pilot, Navigator, and WAG. Sometimes a “Second Dickie” was carried.  The WAG always acted as the ‘dispatcher’ during the ‘drop’. His job was to see that all the troops got out of the aircraft as fast as possible. So they would land close together. This was not always the case – the DZ (dropping zones) were quite often illusive! The WAG was hitched  to the static line (a line running from front to rear of the aircraft) along with all the other paratroopers. The paratroops had a hitching line leading from the parachute to the aircraft static line. About 26 feet from the aircraft the hitching line pulled the parachute cover off and, hopefully, the parachute opened. And a safe landing happened. The 20 covers attached to the lines had to be pulled back into the aircraft by the WAG – a tough job at the best of times. I recall on the Normandy drop I had a heck of a time bringing in the lines and the covers. I only managed to do so with the help of the Navigator., otherwise I would have gone overboard.

Assisting  with the Paratroopers and glider pilots was a great experience for me. I found they were the bravest of the brave. On the night of June 5th, when we dropped our 6th Airborne, these men landed in pitch darkness into the unknown, and they succeeded in what they had to do – fight the enemy on the ground while we flew back to comfortable quarters at our base in England.

Entries from my Log Book give a clearer picture.
June 5/6, 1944. -Carried 6th. Airborne Division paratroopers who were the first to land in Normandy as an Allied invasion force. We dropped them at 00:50 D-Day. Fuselage holed by flak. Bombs and 5 containers dropped.

Dropped supplies to Airborne Division troops.  Carried 4 army dispatchers, petrol, bedding, gun cotton, and hand grenades. Plenty of flak in the area. Auxiliary and main tanks holed, also fuselage.

Other entries.
Sept. 17,’44 – Invasion of Holland – towed glider to Arnhem – largest airborne ‘do’ so far

Sept. 21, ’44 – Re-supply to 1st. Airborne Division at Arnhem – plenty of flak – attacked by Me 109 and FW 190 – escaped in cloud cover.  (Day) 5:30 hrs.

Sept. 23, ’44 – Re-supply to 1st. Airborne Division at Arnhem. Plenty of flak – good fighter escort. (Day) 5:15 hrs.

After D-Day we were engaged in taking supplies to airfields in France and Belgium. On return we carried wounded, mainly stretcher cases.

There were three RCAF Squadrons in the Army Air Support role, 435, 436, and 437. Both 435 and 436 operated in Burma (my brother was a pilot (F/L) on 436. As far as I know only 437 was on operations in the UK. W/C Sproule was the first CO of 437 Squadron.

It is appropriate that we re-publish the following pictures from the late Allan Coggon’s book 
(see book review February 2006 ), 
showing the Dakota crews carrying out Army support duties, in this case over the Jungles of Burma.

Don Macfie

When the war ended most of our crew seemed to be in a terrible rush to get back home, get married, and see dear old Mom. Me? I thought I could do with some more adventure (even after two tours hunting subs), signed up for the interim air force, and stayed overseas. 

Eventually I was crewed up with a pilot on 435 Squadron flying Dakotas, flipping around Europe from Oslo to Naples, and up to our ears in the black market, cigarettes, coffee beans, and white bread. On a trip to Buckeburg in Germany, BAFO HQ, we were billeted in the Kaiser’s Palace, and were told that a good place for cigarette sales was in a town called Minden, about 15 miles away. There one could get two marks for a cigarette.

Hitchhiking was no problem and we were soon there, each with a carton. Contact was soon made, a woman who said we were to follow her. We came to a boarded up ground floor room of what was left of a bombed out house. There were two other middle-aged ladies there, and a boy of about 15 years studying in a corner at a school desk lit by a small candle.

The transaction was handled smoothly and, with pockets laden with marks, we turned to leave. My Pilot waved a gesture of good-bye, whereupon the ladies, standing in a row, clicked their heels and gave us the Nazi salute. As we were walking towards the edge of town, my Pilot started walking faster, and said, “come on Red, lets get out of here.” An American Jeep picked us up and we were soon back in Buckeburg.

When settled down I asked him what all the rush was about back in Minden. His explanation was as follows. He had done ops. as a Mosquito bomber Pilot and one night he could not locate the target. Returning home with bombs on board, he saw a town through a break in the cloud and dumped his load across it. He said, “I did that, wrecked all those houses. The mess we saw back there on both sides of the street, and what I had done to those people, I couldn’t take it. I had to get out of there!”

A short time later we were over night in Prague and we were held up by weather. My Pilot got too well acquainted with one of the female Chec. Students who were part of our passenger load back to the UK. To make matters more complicated we took off with a fine looking police dog in the a/c lavatory.

Over Croydon airfield we were stacked up in the seventh level but eventually got down to level four in high turbulence. We continued to orbit waiting to land. The Pilot asked me to go back and see how the young ladies were taking it. When I went back they all jumped up into the isle and started chattering in a language I could not understand. Right then my old bugaboo, airsickness, hit me. I reached for a sick bag over a window where they were stowed, and let go. The ladies all did the same. We all up-heaved the nice lunches we had been given in Prague.

We landed rather late at Croydon. No runway lighting. At the end of the runway, the dog was spirited away, but something happened to the scheme, I never heard what. In a very short time, the Pilot was riding the bounding main back to Canada, whether he wanted to get married, see his old Mom, or not.

I never did find out if dogs got airsick. From then on I flew with Pilots who had been instructors. 

From: Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada) 
To: John Moyles 
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:53 AM
Subject: New Progress Report 18

Dear John,  Please note that the newest and most important Progress Report 18 is out on our website.
if we get the funding we need now we may be able to find LW170 this year !!

Hope to hear from you soon.  Cheers, Karl


Progress Report No.18  (In Part)
April 7, 2007
Registered Charity  84586 5740 RR0001

As Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada) starts into our third full season I look back and think of our journey together in our quest to find and recover RCAF Halifax LW170. We are closer than you think to a major breakthrough and so we must press on with renewed determination towards our ultimate goal. We are at a vital juncture in the Halifax Project and we need your support more than ever before, in these next few weeks. 


In our last progress report I told you of the exciting news that the Irish national television network – RTE  invited myself to Dublin to tell about the Halifax Project on their variety show “Seoige and O’Shea” on Feb.22. I traveled over to Dublin by air on Feb. 22 (after working my Air Canada flight all night from Toronto!) and was on the air just after 4 pm.

The interview was short at only 10 minutes but it was broadcast live all across Ireland. I was able to tell all about out past recoveries of Halifaxes NA337 and LW682 with historic video of NA337 images as colourful background to our interview. I then told them of our revelation of the 11 Irish Nationals killed-in-action on RCAF Halifaxes along with our proposed Halifax Project details including a dedication to the unknown “RCAF Irish”. To date we have had over 2000 hits from Ireland on our website because of  the TV program. In fact we now have a Mr. and Mrs. Lacey in Dublin researching to find the families of these RCAF Irish for us and the nephew of  Sgt. Dinnen, killed-in-action on a RCAF Halifax, has been in touch with us with information about his uncle.

Later on I was given a DVD copy of this television interview which we hope to share with our members soon, subject to the permission of RTE and Jim Blondeau to set up a website location to see the interview on the internet. RTE definitely wants to follow up with us on the Halifax Project and possibly cover the location and recovery events of the Halifax Project in the near future.

Further to this, I was able to meet with the deep sea exploration group to give a technical briefing on the proposed Phase 1 – Sonar survey of RCAF Halifax LW170 and discuss the possibility of this group helping us locate our Halifax. We talked about the feasibility of attaching the Halifax sonar survey, as a historical effort, onto a scientific survey. There are several scientific surveys done in the deep water near LW170 each year so we must find out which surveys are being planned and hopefully we can “piggyback” our historic survey on to one of these scientific expeditions. 

With the positive reception by this scientific group to our request for sonar survey assistance to find LW170 we have rallied all our high level Canadian officials to provide letters of support and reference for the Halifax Project which will be going to this scientific group and influential officials who can assist us. If we can get high level approval for the Halifax Project with these people, just as our Canadian officials have supported us, then I think we will be able to get the Halifax sonar survey done without major costings. By this I mean we could save (60 to 90%) of the sonar surveys costs which I have estimated to complete would be ($ 265, 000.).

I apologize for withholding names and groups but until we have an agreement in principle and fact, which will be forthcoming in the next few weeks, I do not want to announce any premature agreements or partnerships for the Halifax Project until all is in place. There are several reasons for this but the priority is to make the Halifax Project a success. 

To this end, I must now speak frankly to all of you about the financial situation of Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada). Thanks to our individual members and the sales of the Halifax prints, Halifax CD-ROMS, memberships renewals, and donations we are doing OK from month to month. You have seen over the past 36 months the good work we have done (on a very tight budget) to promote and build up the Halifax Project. I was hoping to find a major sponsorship with the government or corporate world for the Halifax Project to sponsor all or part of the cost of Phase 1 of the Halifax Project. We have found no major sponsor to date but we will keep trying.  If we can get the critical sonar image of Halifax LW170, just as we got the sonar image of NA337 in 1995, we can sell our project to all the possible major supporters who right now are “sitting on the fence”. That sonar image of LW170 is the key.

Here we have a golden opportunity to work with a top-line deep water exploration group which could sponsor and underwrite our Phase 1 to acquire the image of LW170 using their high tech research vessel. This group has indicated to me that the deep water sonar they use is a lease-rental and they would like Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada) to pay for the costs of this high tech sonar on their vessel. This would mean that we would need to be ready to pay, in the next several weeks, in the order of ($ 25,000 to $30,000) for our share of a sonar survey. Considering that the cost of the vessel is the main cost of the sonar survey we are getting this opportunity for about (90%) off the entire sonar survey expedition cost. 

We have the timely and serious need to now have members and supporters send in their donations and purchase orders to show, to our future sponsors and those “sitting on the fence” we are serious about going ahead with the Halifax Project - Phase 1. If we only had 30 people step up now to donate ($ 1000.) each we would finally be ready to move into Phase 1 and be ready for our survey.

A command decision is in order and I have decided to be the first in this critical funding drive. I have just written a personal cheque to Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada) for $1000. I am not as concerned, as a director and Project Manager, about the tax receipt which will certainly be a benefit to you for the tax year 2007, but mainly about showing my serious intent to get our historic project started at this opportune time. Please send in soon whatever you can afford so we will be ready to go this summer! Our aim is to make the $30,000. target.  I cannot stress how important these funds are at this time to make the Halifax Project GO !! 

In other news about gaining support for our project Ken Cothliff of Air Supply Aviation Store in Leeds, UK (whose father was a pilot in RCAF 425 Squadron and killed-in-action) made some great arrangements for us and set up a lecture date of Mar.23 at a local hall to give a presentation on the Halifax Projects of NA337 and LW170. Over 60 people attended the lecture by yours truly which was enjoyed by all. 

Ken has been selling INVINCIBLE ITEM for us at his shop and when the evening was drawing to a close he presented a cheque to us for over $1500. for print sales and proceeds from the lecture. We greatly appreciate all of Ken’s efforts on our behalf and thanks to him and his good wife Doreen for putting up with me for a day in Leeds. We truly have some good friends in Leeds and Yorkshire. ( see below the cheque presentation photo by Ken to yours truly).

I should add that while over in the UK on this lecture date I was able to travel out to Bristol in a van to pick up an original Halifax Boulton Paul tail turret for the Nanton Lancaster Society Air Museum. Thanks to museum curator Bob Evans, who had been contacted by Stephen Watts the owner of the Halifax tail turret, I was able to pick up this rare turret and get it shipped to Canada by good old Air Canada  cargo. Seeing as how Nanton has one of the best turret collections in all of Canada and they collecting all the Halifax artefacts they can, this certainly will be a rare and unusual addition to their collection.

As you know prominent authors have written some very good books about the RCAF and Bomber Command which they have kindly offered to display and offer for sale here to help our cause. We have the unique “Bless you Brother Irvin” by John Neal which we have had available for some time where proceeds from the sale of the book about air force bailouts, the Caterpillar Club, will be donated to our cause. 

We also have “Flying to Glory”, by Sandra Dempsey the playwright, which has had very good reviews as a fine story all about young airmen in the RCAF and Bomber Command. We hope to hear from Sandra soon as she was giving a unique reading of her book to audiences in New York at a special event. She was also going to tell of the unknown story of our RCAF Americans as over 120 young crew from the state of New York were killed-in-action in the RCAF.

Now we have a new addition to our reading selection we wish to promote and pass on to you. 

This book is titled “Incredible Tales of the Royal Canadian Air Force” by Cynthia  J. Faryon. Not only are these stories about the unsung heroes of World War Two but they also include an epilogue about the recovery of RCAF Halifax LW682 in 1997 and the promotion of our Halifax Project to recover LW170. 

Also, Cynthia has used, with our blessing, the great image of our INVINCIBLE ITEM on the cover of her book.

Published by Altitude Publishing this book is one of the great series named Amazing Stories which are all about Canadian history. Cynthia’s father was her personal hero as he was a decorated RCAF veteran in Bomber Command. Well done Cynthia for another great book. 

(See photo of the front cover of this new book available for only $ 9.95 Can. )

As Project Manager of these historical projects I am starting to have a feeling about when we should move forward and when we should press hard in our goals and targets.
I truly feel that now is the time to press forward and take the initiative on this most special project to save our Halifax. 

Certainly we are in this for the long run and we will not be denied our heritage and history as we locate and recover LW170 even if it is next year or the next. I have always listened to that little voice inside me that I have developed over the years from living and from flying. That voice tells me that we must move now and take the first big and serious step to find our Halifax. The high-tech assistance and partnership which is being offered to us should be developed and solidified. I say this as your advisor and Project Manager  hoping that you will understand the sincerity and strength of this timely financial appeal.

Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada) hopes to receive from all of you soon your support in whatever amount you can provide. 

Keep your eyes on the target.

Karl Kjarsgaard
Project Manager
Halifax 57 Rescue (Canada)                         Phone - Eastern Canada  613 835 1748
email:                        Western Canada 403 603 8592


E. J. Chenier CD
Hello everyone!
The following is an e-mail that I sent to my member of parliament as well as to the Ottawa War Museum.
After you've read it, if you decide that you agree with me, forward it to your member of parliament and also to the War Museum at
If you don't agree with me, well, just delete it.

To:      Mr. Rod Bruinooge
           Member of Parliament, Winnipeg South
           Board of Directors, Ottawa War Museum

 Dear Sirs; 

As an officer who flew on bombing missions over Germany during WW2, I am insulted and outraged at the wording on a plaque at the Ottawa War Museum, which insinuates that we, both Canadians and Americans who
participated, are war criminals.

Recently, the President of the United States along with Members of Congress and of the Senate gathered together to Honour a Fighter Squadron, composed of strictly Black personnel, who had flown as protective escort for the American Air Force  on bombing missions over Germany during WW2. They hailed them as heroes and gave them a "Standing Ovation". This is how Americans, treat their Veterans.

Ironically, our Canadian Government is standing by, allowing the Ottawa War Museum to erect a plaque that insinuates that these American veterans, and we Canadian veterans who flew on bombing missions over Germany during WW2 are "War Criminals".


E. J. Chenier CD
Flight Lieutenant (Ret'd)
208-815 St. Anne's Rd
Winnipeg, MB  R2N 3X6

Dear Sir,
Finally, a committee has been formed in the Senate to investigate the controversy of the Ottawa War Museum plaque that insinuates that Air Force veterans, like myself, who flew on bombing missions over Germany during WW2, are "War Criminals". Good luck to these Senators and hopefully they will convince the "Expert Historians" on the board of the museum, that their statement is in fact not a balanced one, and should be removed.
E. J. Chenier CD

Editor. In the evening of April 21st. I was channel jumping on the TV and accidentally landed on a documentary of the Senate Committee for the Department of Veteran’s Affairs hearing presentations regarding the Plaque. It lasted for approximately 30 minutes.

Mr. Donald Elliot, ex-Navigator, now a retired lawyer, made a presentation on behalf of the Air Force Association. At 90 years of age he was excellent, and emphatically answered all questions put to him by the Committee. There was no representative from the War Museum. My question – to whom does the Senate Committee report?

Charley Yule

Thought I should keep you up to date on my anticipated trip to Nanton, AB on August 26th to attend the Annual 'Get-together'.

I have ordered 6 tickets for my party and have been assured that, when they are printed, I will be receiving that number.

 I am hoping that those of us (Particularly those who have an "Air Gunner" and "Handley Page Halifax connection") who may be planning to attend this function might be able to be seated together with other of 'our kind' - or at least at adjoining tables.

Past away April 19th, in his 85th year.  Enlistment in the RCAF with Svce. #R100230, Glen attended #2 Manning Depot in Brandon where he was selected for WAG Training, and posted to #2 Wireless School with the 23rd Course followed by attendance at #2 Bombing and Gunnery School Mossbank, SK 25/5/42 where he received his WAG Brevet.  Further training took place at 31 GRS (RAF) and #31 OTU (RAF).  He served with Eastern Air Command, Groups 1 and 3 and BR Squadrons Nos. 10, 119 and 11.

He was an asset to our Ex Air Gunner's Association, contributing articles for publication in 'SHORT BURSTS' and always willing to give his time to projects for the Association.  Because of his intelligence and leadership he was selected by his peacetime employer for positions of great responsibility.  I am proud to say that he was also a personal friend of mine (C. Yule).

Born on Sept. 27, 1922 in Saskatoon, he spent many of his early years in Northern Manitoba at God's Lake and Sheridan (where he met Bette.

Following his discharge from the Armed Service he was hired on with the CNR where he worked as a Locomotive Engineer, Instructor, Train Master and Master Mechanic  His Railway career allowed him to live and work in Winnipeg, Rainy River, Edmonton, Calgary, and Smithers, BC eventually retiring in 1982 at Gimli, MB as a Manager/Instructor with the CN Rail Transportation Training Centre, which, I understand, he had a large hand in developing.

He leaves his wife of 64 years, Bette, and is survived by 2 sons and their families.  He was predeceased by a son, Jim.

In accordance with his wishes he was cremated and no service was held.  CARRY ON, REGARDLESS, GLEN!  HAPPY LANDINGS

MacNAUGHT, J: Mbr #0468, EDMONTON, AB: 
James passed away April 22, 2007.  He joined the RCAF in June 1941 (R107868) and trained as a WAG.  He took his initial training at #2 Manning Depot in Brandon, MB.  He took his wireless training at No. 3 Wireless School in Winnipeg, MB and graduated from #2 Bombing & Gunnery School, Mossbank, SK.  He took further training in the UK at #22 OTU Wellesbourne and #1659 HCU at Topcliffe, Yorks.  Flew his operations with 432 Squadron, 6 Group, Eastmoor, Yorkshire.

After completing his first tour he took 'rest period' and commenced a 2nd Tour, finally being screened after a total of 45 Operational Trips.  Promoted as a Commissioned Officer (J86679) he was returned to Canada and posted to Patricia Bay for training as a Flying Control Officer and assigned to Yorkton, SK in that capacity.  Discharged January 1946. 

The Moyles clan had a memorable reunion in Edmonton during April. Doreene and I thank Members Svend Jenson and Ted Hackett for their kind hospitality. 

The June Page will continue with the post war history of D-Day Dakota KG395.

While visiting the Edmonton Air Museum I met a volunteer in the coffee shop who flew 337 operational missions over the Burma Hump, supplying aid to the Chinese forces. Cedric “Ced” Mah US Air Medal, D.F.C., a true Flying Tiger. In the June Page we will attempt to give you the highlights of this man’s wartime career.

I do not wish to sound like a cracked record but, at our age one needs to be reminded. For example Doreene is continually saying, “how long have you worn that shirt?”( My criteria is, it is wearable until it sticks to the floor.) However, As our Members know, when our Newsletter was a quarterly,  printed, mailed out version, it cost us around $700.00 per issue. On the demise of our Air Gunner’s National Association and the AG Branches continuing to operate autonomously, there were no membership fees to support a National Newsletter.

In March 2001, the CATP Museum in Brandon came to our rescue and, with the help of our volunteer Web Master, Bill Hillman, they cover the cost of this Web Page. So now we circulate around the globe at no cost to our membership. At your monthly luncheons, please take a moment and consider making a donation to the Brandon Air Museum.

Donations can be made directly to: 
CATP Museum Inc. 
Box 3, Grp. 520, RR5, 
Brandon, MB   R7A 5Y5 
Phone: (204) 727-2444

Thanks to those who contributed to this Page.

John and Doreene

John and Doreene Moyles,
 435 Froom Cresc.
 Regina, SK
 S4N 1T5
Phone: (306) 949-6112 

Regional Meetings

Southern Ontario Chapter
Royal Canadian Legion
Wilson Branch 527
948 Sheppard Avenue West
We meet the first Wednesday of each month at the Legion hall 1:00 pm. 
No meetings July, August, September.
Contact persons: 
Ken Hill  ~ President ~  905.789.1912
Bill Milne,  Secretary,
392 St. Clements Ave., 
Toronto, Ont. M5M 1M1 

Location - Royal Canadian Legion Br.#4 St. James Legion.
Date - Third Thursday of each month.
Time - Luncheon meeting (provide your own lunch).
Contact Member - Charlie Yule Ph. (204) 254-6264.

Northern Saskatchewan
Location - Lynx Wing Ave. C North, Saskatoon.
Date - Third Monday of the month.
Time - Luncheon meetings.
Contact Member:
Harry Thompson, 702 Mckercher Dr., Saskatoon, SK  S7H 3W7 Phone: (306) 374-6036

Northern Alberta Branch
Location - Norwood Branch 178, 11150 – 82 Street, Edmonton, AB
Date -  The first Thursday of each month.
Time - 12:00 hours.
Contact Members - E. H. "Ted" Hackett (780)962-2904
or Sven Jensen (780)465-7344.

Southern Alberta
Location - Royal Canadian Legion  #264 
Kensington, Calgary
Date: Second Monday of each month.
Time - 11:30 hours.
October meeting time moved to third Monday. 
Also there are no meetings in July and August, however, 
a Barbecue is usually held  at Larry Robinson's ranch in Okatoks during that time.

Contact Person and President
Larry Robinson 
Box 179
Okotoks, AB   T0L 1T0
(403) 938-4105

British Columbia Branch 
Meeting time and local: 2nd Tuesday of each month at 11:30 
Firefighters Social & Athletic Club, 
6515 Bonsor Avenue, 
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 3E8 
Super eating facilities 
Contact person - Dave Sutherland       Ph. 604-431-0085 

Members across the Country are encouraged to 
send current information regarding 
regular meeting places, dates, and Contact Members, to

John and Doreene Moyles, 
435 Froom Crescent
 Regina, Sk.  S4N 1T5
Ph. (306) 949-6112


Members are requested to send their experiences, articles, anecdotes, pictures, etc., to John Moyles and I will forward them to our Web Master in Brandon. Articles and Last Post items will be deleted from the page each month after the designated Member in each region has had an opportunity to copy the material for their Members. Notices of deceased Members are to be sent to Charlie Yule who is still our 'Keeper of the Rolls'. 

This is your SHORT BURSTS with no printing or mailing costs, and no deadlines!
We thank our Web Master, Bill Hillman, for his volunteer time and expertise.

As You Were . . .
Tribute Webzines
Navigation Chart to the
Hillman WWII Tributes
Short Bursts
Ex-Air Gunners Association

Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum: RCAFHMCS Prince Robert: Hillman WWII Scrapbook - RCNXII Dragoons - 26 RCA Museum
Webmaster: William G. Hillman
Editor and Webmaster Bill Hillman ~ Copyright 1996-2021
 © 2007 Bill Hillman and Ex-Air Gunners Association